In addition to mesothelioma meaning, the doctor can also suggest a follow-up examination in the form of:
Examination of fluid samples. If the patient experiences fluid buildup in the body related to mesothelioma, the doctor will take a liquid sample using a needle inserted through the skin into the area where the liquid is located. Furthermore, the fluid will be analyzed in the laboratory to detect the presence of cancer cells. There are several types of fluid and tissue sample tests, namely:
- Thoracentesis, taking fluid samples in the area of the pleural cavity.
- Paracentesis, taking fluid in the abdominal cavity.
- Pericardiocentesis, taking fluid in the layer (membrane) around the heart.
Biopsy, which is the procedure for removing tissue samples from certain body parts to be analyzed in the laboratory. There are several types of biopsy examinations, namely:
- Needle biopsy. This type of biopsy uses a long needle inserted through the skin into the chest or abdominal cavity to take tissue samples.
2. Thoracoscopy, laparoscopy, and mediastinoscopy. This type of biopsy uses an elastic hose with a camera and a special surgical device that is inserted through one or more small incisions to take tissue samples.